Thursday 7 November 2013

Thinking of an Apprenticeship?


When I finished my previous job I decided that I wanted to do a job that gave me satisfaction and where I felt I was actually making a difference to people. I spent a while looking for jobs and then the opportunity arose to become a business apprentice at a local school which I found very interesting. Having studied business studies in college and currently studying a degree in business I thought this was going to be right up my street! So I looked further into the application process but when I saw what the school was called I became stumped - a local school called InterHigh This left me a bit confused having been born and bred in the small town of Brecon I thought I knew where most businesses were, but InterHigh left me puzzled so I turned to my good friend Google and typed in InterHigh for the first time and wow did I open a door! I was bombarded with information on this online high school from there I couldn’t stop reading, what a perfect match. I felt working for an online high school and completing a degree online! This was fate; this had to be my calling!

After applying I lived on egg shells waiting for an email or phone call, after what felt like weeks but was more probably like 5 days I received an email saying my application was being taken further and then a few days after that I received a phone call asking if I would like an interview. Which I of course accepted. After arriving at my interview I was brought into Jacqui’s office and from  Jacqui, Paul and Liz I was given a better understanding of the school, then of course standard interview procedure I was asked questions. I would tell you what I was asked but then I would have to kill you ;-) Once finished, I left and got into the car with my mum and explained how I really wanted this job to which she answered “well you better have given a good interview then!” (Thanks mom!) This was on the Friday and by the Monday I had accepted the position. J
 
When I started, InterHigh was in full flow of the September rush but even though it was very busy and hard work it was exactly what I needed, this allowed me to experience listen and watch all aspects of the school from the first enquiring phone call to when that child joins lessons.

My apprenticeship runs alongside the normal day to day work I complete at the office (actually most of the work I complete for InterHigh overlaps for the work I need to complete for my apprenticeship). I have to complete work booklets, answer questions give presentations, analyse work situations and many more things for my apprenticeship and for all you students reading this I even I have to do MATHS L

There is a lot of work to do in my day and sometimes it is just easier to put off my apprenticeship work but when I actually do it, it is quite interesting and I realise that I have actually completed units in my day to day work which is always nice. To make sure that I keep on track I have a mentor that visits me about every two weeks, when he comes we talk through what I have been doing in work and how it all relates back to my apprenticeship. He makes sure that I understand my work and that I am actually the one doing it and that I am not just getting everyone else here at head office to do it for me. (Which when I comes to my maths it is quite tempting).
 

Entering into the InterHigh family had been everything that I wanted it to be and more. All the staff and students have been wonderful.

I will try to keep you all updated with my apprenticeship and make sure you know how my assignments are going. If you would like any more information then please do not hesitate to contact me – alex@interhigh.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. I'm so pleased it's going well for you, Alex. I'm the one who encourages students to walk into haunted houses and pilot spaceships in Creative Writing on a Monday afternoon. Good luck with the rest of your apprenticeship.

    ReplyDelete