Sunday 13 October 2013

“What do your parents do?”



I have always feared this question, not because I am embarrassed or ashamed, but simply knowing that following my answer will begin a series of further questions and I am bound to spend the next ten minutes at least explaining the concept of an online high school!

Responses vary and sometimes consist of shock and amazement that such business could exist in a cowshed in my garden. Others show complete dissatisfaction and comment that no such school could have a social aspect or could provide a fulfilling education. Surprisingly, negative comments are in the minority even though humans don’t seem fond of change or the’ unnatural’. In spite of using the internet for more and more mundane tasks, going to school online is still seen as highly unusual in the UK. 

I was actually very hesitant of using this medium although I had grown up with it, knowing every single detail of it!  Now I know it from a student perspective.

 I have been to state school all my life until last year when deciding on my A level choices. My school did not offer the combination I wished to study; it was only now I would have the full experience of two very different schools. I spend 8:30 to 3:30 at my local sixth form within a comprehensive studying four subjects as is expected. Then two nights a week I undertake a history class with InterHigh. There are clear differences.

The main one for me was the lesson intensity. At sixth form we have 5 hours per a week for a subject, when you subtract the amount of time spent moving around the school, unpacking/ packing books, class distractions, and waiting for slow teachers to get on with some teaching, you are left with little time of full concentration. With InterHigh I only have 3 hours, however these are three pure hours of learning. The difference in quantity of content is staggering and quality is not compromised. I’m often left mentally drained after an hour and a half lesson. As for social impact I find the InterHigh community far more pleasant and the strength of their bond should not be underestimated. I have always felt accepted, even when I was younger and not actually a pupil of the school. The common bitter and wholesome nastiness found at my state school is not present at Interhigh. When entering a classroom there is often a stream of “Hello” and “How are you?” comments in the text box. I can never imagine this happening in my sixth form!

For me, Interhigh seems very natural. I have fond memories of my father, the principal, and I testing classroom software in the kitchen during the very early stages of InterHigh. To be honest InterHigh has grown as I have so it doesn’t seem at all strange to me. Family life to me is InterHigh. It has such a huge impact on my life I cannot imagine my home without it. 

Penelope Daniell Y12 History

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post, Penelope. Logging on as a creative writing tutor, I can vouch for the amazing support and camaraderie among my students. I'm such a duffer with technology but there's always more than one to hold my hand and give me a smiley face! I throw them ideas and they come up with some fabulous writing. Good luck with your A levels.

    ReplyDelete